Tuesday 3 June 2014

Old Speckled Hen

To restart this blog I felt it'd be good to go for a nice familiar name, so while wandering the beer aisle in Sainsbury's, and having all these interesting and fancy looking bottles calling to me, I eventually landed on a beer that I recognize through countless TV adverts featuring an ever sneaky fox... Old Speckled Hen.
The bottle says that Old Speckled Hen (OSH) is a "Strong fine ale" and that certainly rings true with the flavour. It's certainly got a nice distinguished taste which is both delicious and refreshing. You can tell that OSH is an ale too by the strength of flavour and the beery aftertaste which, although slightly bitter, is very pleasant.
I have to admit that I've been drinking  a lot of the same beers recently, all of them fairly light in flavour and colour (I'm sticking with the English spellings no matter how much blogger tries to correct me). Therefore to be drinking a pleasantly dark, pleasantly strong ale was a very welcome change of pace. Having said that, summer is fast approaching, so I think I will be leaving Old Speckled Hen for colder times, where I want a nice beery wallop.
All in all, I give it a good 5/10
Henry

No comments:

Post a Comment