Sunday 23 March 2014

Spring Sprinter

Onto the second beer already!! What can I say, I like to keep our audience on their toes... and I was walking right by a pub so y'know, what was I supposed to do??
Right! So this beer, as per the title, is called Spring Sprinter and is in fact an ale. Brewed by Fullers Spring Sprinter is one of their seasonal brews and as the name points out, it's intended for the spring season.
Going by what the website says again (fullers.co.uk) this ale is "A light zesty ale with a real spring in its step" as well as having "subtle gooseberry flavours... balanced perfectly with the biscuity sweetness". 
Now I openly admit to not being the biggest fan of ales, it's something I believe potentially comes with age, but I certainly enjoyed the Spring Sprinter. The first sip was actually pretty bitter which came as a slight surprise, but as I reached for it again... and again.... and again it opened up and was full on, down right enjoyable.
I found it nicely easy to drink and just as a side note, it pairs amazingly with cheese and onion crisps.
If I had to pick one criticism, which I suppose for the sake of balance I must, I'd say that athough the zesty flavour was at the very least mutely present, there was a distinctly heavy, bitter aftertaste.
Therefore, all in all, I give it an 7/10 (I know Pistonhead got a 7 too but it's coincidence honest)
P.S. For anyone local to Winchester reading this, I would also highly recommend the pub I was wandering past, The Wykeham Arms. I'd walked past it several times previously but this was the first time I'd gone in and was oh so happily surprised. Any pub that allows dogs is a good pub in my book.
Henry
Me enjoying a Spring Sprinter

No comments:

Post a Comment